Wednesday, July 9, 2008

"This is just a dead end job - something to pay the bills."

This statement belongs to one of the Children's Place teachers; I won't say her name here out of courtesy, but the second it left her mouth mine fell open. I fully understand there are some jobs that are, indeed, for such a purpose, and sadly, more employees of the Children's Place have that mindset and just aren't as readily willing to admit it as this teacher. However, I can't help but wonder how much of the CP's problems have to do with reluctant teachers who don't care as much as others.

Maybe it's the Leo in me, as we are incredibly stubborn and ambitious, and, as this site says, "They make an impact, they make a difference in the workplace and help to keep the parts moving in sync and iron out any problems before they arise." I hope this is true, even for the short two months I've been working so far; I hope to continue to have an opportunity to further mold the minds and goings of the Children's Place next summer, the summer after that, et cetera. Who knows, the kinks may have worked themselves out for the most part by the next time I work there (if Donna is so gracious), so who knows. After all, we (Leos, but hopefully the CP too) have a "powerful drive to succeed."

Whether my shock from the teacher's statement stems from caring "too much" about the lives of these children, the connections I have through a certain feisty four-year-old, a calm almost-one-year-old, and these girls' parents, or a combination of the two, the point is that her statement was uncalled for and I can't help but wonder if the Children's Place might be better off with somebody who truly cares for the kids. I would hardly say the CP is a "dead end job," as long as children keep coming in. These children provide an opportunity for the street to remain a two-way as long as it's possible.

I don't want to be a soldier
Who the captain of some sinking ship
Would stow, far below
.
-Coldplay, "Violet Hill"

No comments: