I am simply up to my neck in prescription medications. Twelve pills a day - four in the morning, eight at night - 1,740 milligrams in total, plus whatever is in my Orthocyclen. Add an inhaler, two puffs as needed, which delivers 180 mcg of albuterol in total, and three Advil (200 mg/tablet - 600 mg in total), or 1 Imitrex (whatever I feel more like taking) for migraines. Throw in some IBS on the side, and you've got me in a nutshell.
Because I live with a diabetic, I check my blood sugar occasionally. I inherited my father's naturally-low blood sugar, while my mom's stays in the 300's (normal is 90-120 two hours after eating) constantly. Today at Starbucks I sat on the floor as I began feeling weird; my vision was swimming, I got flushed, and I started shaking. Just a few minutes before, I'd eaten a blueberry muffin with a Venti sweet tea, so I knew my sugar shouldn't have been low. I then began seeing spots like people get when they look at the sun then look away, so I told Kellie and Beth, and remained sitting. I then uncontrollably bit the left side of my tongue (which is still swollen from my June 26 seizure - just great), my facial muscles began twitching, and my left eye went out of focus while the right one remained in focus.
These are all symptoms of a simple partial seizure.
My mom, God bless her, came to Starbucks and Kellie went ahead and sent me on my lunch break around 11:30. Mom and I took my blood sugar before and after we got lunch at Chick-fil-a; before lunch and after I'd eaten the muffin and had the sweet tea, it was 102, which it definitely shouldn't have been; after lunch (a chicken salad sandwich, 2-3 fries, and a lemonade) it was around 110, still incredibly low for having just eaten. It wasn't until about 2:30, three hours later, that I began to feel better and took my blood sugar a third time; it was finally normal. I can certainly say that the blood sugar is not the direct cause for my seizures, but I believe plays an important role. Of course, I trust the medical professionals, but I also believe that if my blood sugar is low, it can trigger certain reactions in me, and these combined lead to seizures more readily than people with "normal" thyroid glands, "normal" neurons in their brains, and "normal" blood sugar.
So, thanks to Mom bringing my Keppra around 8 AM since I forgot it upon awaking at 6:15, and me taking the proper measures when I felt the warning signs of a seizure, I successfully warded off a more serious situation - or, if I'd had a generalized (tonic-clonic) seizure, I would have been close to the ground and without any steamed milk in hand.
I hope my blood sugar regulates itself. Lord knows I don't need another dose of regular medication!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment