Thursday, June 5, 2008

After a visit with my neurologist this morning, I'm now on Lamictal, and will gradually decrease the amount of Keppra I take since I experience the drowsy side effect, so that I don't have to take both those medicines. I'm going back to see him on July 21, so we'll see then. I just hope it works so that I don't have to try a million medicines... I'm already on so many that I'm getting increasingly discouraged.

I asked Dr. Swillie if he knew why I was having seizures, since my EEGs, MRIs, and CT scans have always come back normal, and he told us 1/3 of people who have seizures never figure out why they started; many are because of genetics and got a gene from a family member who had seizure. My grandfather on my dad's side had seizures and died at 49 (7/7/1977 - how weird is that?) after a lifetime of seizures, so I'm assuming if it's genetic, he's who I got it from. I'm just glad I'm in an age of medical advancement. Dad always told me that they had to drill a hole in Reggie's head when they were trying to figure out why he had them... thank goodness they won't have to do that to me (well, hopefully)!

Ms. Ellen, the Director of Food Services (although I'm sure my readers knew that) at HUMC, came by yesterday to check on me. Everybody is so nice at the CP. She said something along the lines of, "Those kids upstairs will stress you out enough!" and said her friend has seizures related to stress. That could easily be it. Sonya (from Starbucks) seems to think it was because I was missing school... I highly doubt that! Not that I don't love school, but I wasn't even thinking about it, honestly. So, who knows, and hopefully the Lamictal will work better than the Keppra.

Yesterday one of my three-year-olds (I'll protect his identity although I'm not sure how much it matters, since his mom was livid when she saw him do it), K, threw sand in another child's, E's, eyes while we were on the playground. E was sitting next to me and not playing because all day he'd been shoving the other kids and hitting them (he's a 'trouble child' anyway) so, of course, he was in time out. K walked up and looked at me, and when I asked what, he threw the sand at E. Luckily, K's mother walked up right then and she was furious, but not at me (thankfully! I wasn't in the mood to handle bitchy parents when it wasn't my fault), and after punishing K, asked to take E to the bathroom to wash his face off and rinse his eyes out, which I thought was extremely nice. She herself was very nice, and introduced herself and said, "K knows I don't play like that, and if he ever does this again I'll be sure and do the right thing, because I want these other kids to enjoy coming to daycare, etc." and she just kept going on and on. The most important thing to say is that E is okay, K knew why he got in trouble and knows if he does that again he's going to get even more in trouble, and the day rounded out fine (except when E's mother came to pick him up, I suddenly knew why he's a 'trouble child', if you get my drift).

I really appreciate parents like K's mother. K is normally a good child, and every kid has his/her moments, but I can't stand parents who just say, "Oh that's bad, don't do that again" and obviously don't care enough to discipline the child. Conversely, I can't stand parents who beat their children ridiculously.

And then there are the parents like J's parents. This kid is smart as everything, obviously above average even for a three-year-old, but his parents are some of the most pretentious people I've ever met. This is only one example of many I've seen, but there's a sign in the room that says "J does not eat meat or dairy products"... Ms. Conda explained it's because "his parents chose for him to be a vegetarian." I cannot STAND that! My aunt and uncle were like that with their children, and it's just so ridiculous! Feed the child normal 'kid' food, let them get the proper nutrition in their formative years, then let them decide for him/herself whether or not to be a vegetarian! Anyway, they didn't ask me, so as long as they provide the lunch, we don't have a problem with it. I just think it's a little ridiculous. And his mother talks as though she's been in speech pathology her entire life and overly enunciates everything.

Anyway, I'm done complaining about various things now and am off to get ready for work. Tomorrow, I have to go into Starbucks at 6:45 (blah) and get my paycheck (woo), then go into the Children's Place and get my paycheck there. No idea what Saturday will be like, except that Charity and I are going to the Pride parade with possible hanging out beforehand, then Sunday I'm going to church with my new beautiful dress from Ross! I'm so happy to be seeing Charity again. You'd think since we live in the same city we'd be hanging out a lot, but since I can't yet drive, it's kind of difficult. Best weekend in a long time? I think so.

"Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence."
-Helen Keller

No comments: