Thursday, January 15, 2009

so come over, just be patient, and don't worry.





The lovely woman depicted in this portrait is the subject of my research paper for Barone's History of England II class--Queen Anne, r. 1702-1714. The question I'm posing will probably be something along the lines of "How did Anne's relationship with the Scots lead to the Treaty of Union in 1707" or maybe something less awkward. But it definitely needs to involve Scotland, because that's the defining point of her reign IMO.

Sad she had so many health problems. Isn't that portrait of her gorgeous though?

Listening to "Evey Reborn" from the V for Vendetta soundtrack always moves me. The progression of notes in the chords really conveys the emotion of the story. This song is absolutely the most powerful on the soundtrack. It makes me miss band a lot more (which is bad since I've been nostalgic about it anyway lately). I used to cry during some of our pieces because the chords were so moving.

It's wonderful that we have such a form of art that can move a person so much. I haven't met anybody who doesn't have a favorite song or enjoy listening to music. The simplest things can stir emotion in a person if done right in a song. Take Coldplay's "Death and All of His Friends." This song is not short--nearly six minutes--but my favorite part of the song, the part from the accelerating tempo, louder piano accompanying the leading guitar part, the introduction of voices in vocalization, finally culminating in the introduction of drums and the much more prominent guitar solo--all that until the last repetition of "No, I don't want to battle from beginning to end / I don't want a cycle of recycled revenge / I don't want to follow Death and all of his friends," until the tempo begins to slow again.

That part is my favorite, it's only two minutes and ten seconds, and I wish there were more. But I'm glad there isn't. It would lose its beauty if it kept going. Sometimes the things we get only a taste of are the best. Because of that single part, that song is the most moving on the album.

Vive la musique!

Sometimes I want to follow Death and all of his friends, if for nothing to see my father again. But I've got to live life, for him, for my grandmother, for myself.

"God is in the rain."


No comments: