- "I wish I didn't have to give you all tests. I would still stand up here and teach. You think I'm woofin'. Is that something you all say, woofin'?" ...just...what?
- "Of course, you will be excused for death. I guess if you die, you don't care anymore about your grade in this class. But I'll tell you, in my seventeen years teaching this class, I have never had a student die. I haven't died yet." Thank you for the clarification.
- "Once, I had a student ask me to help him out. He'd gotten a ticket and was just going to ignore it, so he had to go to court and pay $800. He asked if I would co-sign for him, and I told him I would pray for him." I laughed. Hard.
- "Don't rob a bank. I know times are hard, but maybe that's not the solution. Practice some love."
My second class, a Monday-only class from 5-7:30, Intro to Historical Study with Dr. Hultquist (my last semester French Revolution teacher), went very well. Poor Dr. Hultquist was sick with non-contagious pneumonia, so he let us out after only 40 minutes. I'm already enjoying being back in one of his classes.
Today, I've had so far Math 154, the Nature of Mathematics. It seems like it will be a very interesting class that will make us think "outside of the box." The teacher is friendly, and very rational (excuse the bad math pun). My second class of my TR days is undoubtedly my favorite -- History of England II. I'm taking part one next fall, as I missed it this time, but it's with Dr. Barone, one of my all-time favorite teachers. He's hilarious, and I'll post a picture I photoshopped of him one day. One thing he said today that made me laugh was, when calling attendance and this guy told him he went by a certain first name, Barone said, "Well, I'll call everyone by their last name, because I'll get this paper that says Chris Bell and I'll say 'Who the hell is Chris Bell?'" He's pretty candid.
He also said that the English look down on the Scottish even today because, and here he donned an English accent, "Because they show you how educated you are, and if they say shit doesn't stink anymore then it must not, because they obviously are more superior than you."
I have English 234 at 2, which is Honors World Lit II (another class that I'll have to take the first part of next fall). We're reading Arabian Nights and classic fairy tales in that class. That's one of the reasons I love English -- I have an excuse to read books I probably wouldn't read otherwise purely because of forgetting/not having time outside of that. And I suspect German 202 will be the same.
So, there's a proper update.
Yesterday I had a simple partial seizure. Not the same as tonic-clonic, but my arms were twitching for about a minute, and I got severely dizzy. It could have been a myoclonic...I can't remember. But it was scary. I'm better now.
Do you think there's a Heaven where some screams have gone?

No comments:
Post a Comment