So, I’ve never made resolutions before. Well, that’s a lie. I made really stupid ones when I was seven, like “I resolve not to get Mom to buy me more Barbies,” or even better, “I resolve not to tear the heads off more Barbies.” And I tried, once, when I was eleven, to “lose weight.” Because I needed to lose so much weight at eleven, let me tell you.
But this year, I’m going to make some. I blame Kevin. Does this mean I can blame him if they fall through? …nah, I guess that’s unfair.
My first resolution is to make Dean’s List for the third time. It’d be even better if I could make President’s List (which is a 3.8 GPA or higher, whereas Dean’s is 3.5-3.79). In other words, kick college’s butt. Hopefully there won’t be any chaos-inducing events this semester (well, besides me taking a math course—ha, ha, ha). In other words, I have to try my damndest to make A’s…and B’s if I have to, but hopefully A’s. Perfectionist? Maybe.
My second resolution is to have no seizures. There’s no question of me getting off the Lamictal anytime soon. Though my third resolution will cover this, it’s got a place here too—I’ve got to eat healthier. Cut out so much sodium—I’m sorry salt, it’s nothing personal, we’re just better off as friends—and sugar and all that bad crap. Bring on the antioxidants, fiber-rich, nutrient-rich food. Bring on the balanced neurons, and kick out the out-of-balance ones. NO. MORE. SEIZURES!!! I cannot stress this enough. I think I’ve given my mom enough heart attacks for a lifetime, and as much as I enjoy the excuse to sleep, even if I’m in a room off an ER, the effects of having a seizure are pretty crappy. Four in one year was enough, thank you.
My third resolution, funnily enough, is to, indeed, lose weight. Not a whole bunch. And perhaps what I meant by “lose weight” was “lose enough to maintain a healthy weight, get in shape, eat healthily, and take care of yourself.” Yes, I have gained because of medicine. Yes, I intend to lose all of that. Charity and I talked via comments on Rachel’s journal about options, goals, and plans for next semester. We’re going to take advantage of the wonderful facilities at our Student Activity Center (which I used a while back for a bit, but fell out of the habit). I’ve a blender now, and that means fruit smoothies—maybe one for breakfast. And let’s not forget my favorite Kashi TLC granola bars.
No more sodas (okay, maybe one a week—MAYBE. But they’re honestly not that hard to give up). No more junk food unless it’s a movie night or something. Working out every other day during the week. Staying active, staying healthy. I think I can really lose some weight, keep it that way, and be happier about my body and myself.
My fourth resolution is to visit Lynda in the summer, either accompanied by Mom or unaccompanied. I’m almost 100% sure I’ll be working in the summer, but I’ll go ahead and say I’m unavailable for a week. Is that even possible? Eh, we’ll see. Point is, I want to visit her. It’s been wonderful seeing her as often as I have (although the circumstances, i.e., Nana’s death, were not so great) and she’s very down because of recent things in her life aside from Nana. So it’ll be good for the both of us (and Mom, too, if she tags along).
My fifth resolution is to get my freakin’ passport. This is, of course, essential if I’m to travel to Germany in the spring of 2010, which I’ve tentatively-but-adamantly planned via the exchange program between Montevallo and Universität Dortmund. So, yeah, passport = important. No excuses!
My sixth resolution is to actually remember and observe the Sabbats. I’ve gotten terrible about this. What am I talking about? I’ve always been terrible about it. But yeah, I need to do that. Charity and I need to keep each other on track. Beltane’s the best one—why do I always forget it?
My seventh, and final (so far) resolution is to KEEP BETTER TRACK OF MY FINANCES. There’s no reason I should be as broke as I am now after working two jobs this summer, and believe me, that’s not happening again for a long time, so unless I want to be in the negatives this year, I’ve got to budget my money. I want to get a book and keep a budget on spending—especially while I’m at school. I doubt I’ll have to worry too much about meals at school, between my gift cards and my meal plan/flex points, so that’s good. But I get a little crazy with personal spending. Crocheting helps, though, because yarn is so cheap. So watch out, y’all, Grandma Christina’s coming to crochet you a nice little winter hat and some matching gloves.
Oh, and something else that goes along with this is that I resolve to actually start selling things on my Etsy site. That’ll help bring in some, even if it doesn’t amount to very much in the grand scheme of things. Plus, it’ll give me a goal for my crocheting.
Well, that’s all I can think of for now. I’m sure the list will grow. We’ll see how this works.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
ha! please feel free to blame me if you end up falling short with a couple!
i do wish you well with all your resolutions, and i'll look forward to twelve months from now to see how you did.
Very ambitious! we'll be watching.. ;)
Post a Comment