Wednesday, August 13, 2008

i swear this all has a point

So, yesterday Devin wet himself during nap time, a common occurrence. His mother has bitched at us before, saying we need to wake him up halfway through the nap to go to the bathroom, something I feel is absolutely ridiculous and potentially harmful to the child as he doesn't get the proper rest he'd be getting if we didn't drag him from his nap. However, we did it to avoid her mean words, until one day last week I forgot. He woke up dry, so I became encouraged that he was doing better. I didn't wake him up the rest of last week, and he was fine; I didn't wake him up Monday, and he was fine.

Well, yesterday he wet himself, so I told him to go get his clothes and change. He changed quickly, and I helped put his shoes on, and he was fine. Oh, but no, actually - he looked horrid - according to some. When his mother got there, she asked who changed him. I said, "He wet himself, so I told him to get his clothes, and he changed himself in the bathroom." She proceeded to go on for some amount of time about how I didn't see that her child's shirt was on backwards - she even did the typical black-lady thing - "Look at my baby!" after she'd just finished yelling at her "baby" for wetting himself.

He was wearing a t-shirt, one that had a large design on the front of it, only he was wearing it backwards so it was on his back; however, I didn't notice it was actually backwards, because you know, t-shirts tend to have things on the backs of them too. I was very, very close to just going off on her about how if she'd properly potty-trained her son (and I know accidents happen, but really, he was peeing on himself daily - sorry, but that's a little abnormal) she wouldn't have to worry about it. However, I did something that was extremely hard for me to do, and I bit my tongue, biting back all the insults I wanted to throw at her, biting back my urge to slap her across her stupid face. Truthfully, I feel bad for Devin, for having to live with her.

Do you think it ends there? Oh no, you are sadly mistaken.

She proceeds to go find Ms. Jackie (Donna had left for the day), and said something (when Ms. Jackie told us, she rolled her eyes and just said if we wouldn't mind making sure his clothes were on right to avoid further confrontation), then asked Chandra what was wrong with Devin. Chandra said she didn't see anything wrong with him, which further proves that I'm not incompetent, thank you very much, but outraged Devin's ridiculous mother even more, because I guess she didn't want to admit that I was right.

For the record, Adrienne was in the room helping me, and didn't notice anything wrong with Devin's shirt either. Therefore, Devin's mother is the one who was made a fool for freaking out over a simple mistake. Then when Chandra, a third person, said she didn't notice anything wrong, that's just digging the hole deeper, am I right? Maybe by age three, a child should know that the tag goes in the back...

So her criteria (so says Ms. Jackie) is that his shirt be on the right way - again, excuse me for not checking his tag when I didn't think anything was wrong with the damn thing - and that it is tucked in. WHAT?! What three-year-old tucks in his or her shirt and keeps it that way THE ENTIRE DAY?! Let's not include the fact that 'Amber' (his mother, because I refuse to refer to her as Ms. Whatever-her-last-name-is-because-it's-not-the-same-as-Devin's) should just be glad that I told him to change; I could've technically left him with his wet clothes on. So, next time he wets himself, I'm going to do just that, and if she says anything, I'll just say, "Well, I didn't want to risk his clothes being on wrong again."

God help both me and her if she says anything to me today. I'm liable to tell her off. I really wish she'd you know, raise her child (God forbid) and quit expecting us to do all the work. I'd like for her to take care of seventeen children by herself and see where her priorities lie. Then again, maybe we'll all be lucky, and she'll take Devin to another daycare. I doubt that'll happen, but I'd sure like it - not because of him, but because we don't want to deal with her. No matter what happened, she would have had something to say, so I'm not stressing.

Do any of my readers think this is ridiculous?? Am I and the other teachers alone in thinking that she could've politely said something without having to go off on us? Please - assure me of my sanity!

No comments: