Wednesday, August 20, 2008

so this is how not working feels...

Also known as: I don't have to clean up anymore throw-up for at least a few more months, barring the possibility of me puking, something I don't find too high, as I haven't thrown up in nine years - HALLELUJAH!

Yep. My last day at the Children's Place until I return (with a vengeance!...or something) over Christmas break. Donna placed me upstairs with the four-year-olds, where I walked in on a conversation Vanessa and Mrs. Violett were having unncessarily-loudly about Jesus and how homosexuality is wrong, and should women pray with head-covers on as it says. I think it woke Hannah O'Kelley up, and I know for a fact that Cameron wasn't able to sleep until they shut up finally; well, I wouldn't have been either! Vanessa was seriously close to yelling about how much she loves Jesus or whatever the conversation was about, and Mrs. Violett was talking about how she used to dress like a "ho" and "prostitute," which is, of course, something every four-year-old needs to hear about, right?!

I woke them up and gave them snack, and when Vanessa got back from picking up her child from WJC (the shining beam of education in Alabama, am I right?) I went down to the two's. Nobody threw up today, unlike yesterday, and we went outside. Pretty uneventful day.

In a way, I'm glad to be leaving for a while to take a "vacation," although I plan to have a job during my stay at Montevallo this year, now that I don't have obligations to come home every (other) weekend anymore. No more puking kids, no more unreasonable parents, no more listening to Vanessa treat the kids as though they are much older than they are, no more getting slapped or punched or kicked, no more dirt in my shoes, no more pulling on my hair, no more snotty noses, no more peeing in clothes.

On the other hand, I'm going to miss those kids (maybe with the exception of Devin...). I'm going to miss Michael Jackson calling me "Misteenta" and Teliesha having "conversations" with Baby (one of our cats) on my cell phone and seeing Hannah often and Ethan telling me about the zoo and what he would buy me. I'm going to miss the clean (well, sometimes not-so-clean, but mostly clean) smell of the halls. I'm going to miss the nice breeze from beneath the trees on the playground. I know it's not like I'll never, ever be back in the history of my college years, but it's been a great experience.

So thank you, Sarah and Kevin, for encouraging me and helping me to pursue the position at the CP, despite all the changes it's gone through in such a short time. Thank you, Mom, for being supportive and listening to me whine about things gone wrong during the day. Thank you, Nana, for passing on the ability to take care of children even in the face of adversity, and for the tiniest bit of patience I could muster up sometimes. Thank you, motherly instinct, for rearing your head whenever a child was sick and I sat in the office when him/her on my lap waiting for his/her parents. Thank you, Ken'Marius' mother, for being one of the nicest people I've known, who puts her child first but still knows when to discipline him - I'm sorry I didn't write you that note.

I'll be back, HUMC...

No comments: