Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Update on life in general

Spring break was relatively uneventful. We were busy cleaning and moving stuff for Nana's soon-to-be moving in, which will certainly be something to get used to, but I don't think in a bad way. I'm used to living with her in the summers, anyway, since I used to stay with her. Sunday, Joseph and I traveled to Georgia to spend Easter Sunday with his family, and aside from waking up at 5:30 a.m., it was great fun. During the Easter egg hunt, we stood near this guy who reminded me so much of my dad that it made me start crying. He had a thicker southern accent, but sounded like him otherwise, and the way he acted with his grandchild/whatever the child was to him, seemed the way he would have acted with my future children. It was such an eyeopening moment that I just couldn't keep from crying, and it was hard to quit once I'd gotten started. Until we went back to Joseph's aunt's house, I just kind of stayed in a daze and occupied myself with finding Emma's "hiding" spot beside the pew in the church. I hate how Dad's death affects me differently on different days. Sometimes it feels like he has just gone, but other times it feels like it's been years. It hasn't even been six months yet.

I always wanted him to put a penny in my shoe before my wedding like he did before Sherrie's, to walk me down the aisle and give me away, and to be there (well, not in the room, of course, but at the hospital) when I have my first child, and teach them all the things he taught me. I wish I could remember more of the stuff he taught me about woodworking, and cooking. He wrote me down the recipe for his world-famous awesome biscuits, and I can't find it. :( I had it pinned up on my bulletin board in the dorm room, but when I moved rooms, I put it somewhere. I will be so angry with myself if I lost it, but really, it can only be in a few places, so I'll just keep looking.

Anyway, I got a bit sidetracked, but I've been wanting to talk about him for a while now. The other day when Mom and I were going through his clothes to give away to Hannah Home, Mom pulled out the shirt I'd given him at the beginning of the school year that says "Montevallo Dad" on it, and I just started crying. It's so hard, and many times I just put up a front and pretend everything's okay, that oh yeah, I just miss him, but I'm okay, school is keeping me busy, when sometimes I'm just really not. I haven't let myself really cry about him, I don't think, and I need to be okay with doing that once in a while.

So, onto the rest of Sunday. We chatted with family members a lot, Hannah showed me some gymnastics moves and something that surprised me was the fact that she kept saying "Christina!" like showing me stuff, and I thought she would be shy around me forever (however, I was like that when I was young, so I totally understand, I was just afraid of her possibly not liking me), Emma fell (almost) on my head (which was my fault, as I was lying in the floor lazily) but she was fine after she got some consolation from Rebecca, I held Caroline some more and she dropped toys many times but was sweet as always. Emma put on Hannah's shoes at some point and we laughed about that; Joseph's granddad told me I should know how girls are since I've been one for a while, which made me laugh because I always used to walk around in oversized shoes. I think every girl does that, but now you all know where I get my shoe obsession from (and that I'm not the only one!).

Other than adventures with children, we generally just lazed around and ate some amazing food. Don't get me wrong- Nana makes some amazing food- but this was certainly just as good (and it helped that there was actually enough gravy for everyone; at Christmas, there wasn't any gravy left at Nana's, and that made me très triste). Then Joseph drove Mom's car back (he really, really wanted to) while I slept soundly, but apparently I tapped out the entire first verse of "Bad to the Bone" with my finger while asleep. According to my mom, I sit up and talk, sometimes sing, and otherwise move around a good bit when I sleep (I can't count the number of times I've woken up at the foot end of the bed, curled up in a U-shape...weird much?) but I've never tapped out a song that I know of. However, "Bad to the Bone" has been ingrained in me thanks to my dad since I was a kid, so it makes sense that would be the one my mind would choose to subconsciously "sing" along to. Odd.

I didn't get back to Montevallo until around um...9:30 I think, and walked in to an empty room. Steph's TV was on (we have two, because we're gaming nerds) and playing The Hobbit cartoon movie from the time of the riddle game, so I ended up watching the end of that since I haven't seen it in forever, then spent- literally- an hour rearranging cords and the power strips and my TV console just to have it back where it originally was. I hate doing that. But oh well, it helped to organize the cords anyway I guess, and gave me something to do. Eventually Steph returned with Charity, as that was originally where she went when she left The Hobbit on, and after a quick adventure down to the vending machine, we all commenced hanging out until like 12:30 or something like that. Who knows.

First day back was terrible; I missed history by oversleeping, etc., and had cramps and a migraine that steadily grew throughout the day. I ended up attempting to sleep it off by going to bed relatively early, but as that failed (thanks, thyroid medicine- YOU SUCK!), Steph and I watched Family Guy, Robot Chicken, and finally Golden Girls (laugh all you want, we love those four little old ladies...even promiscuous Blanche [but we all know Sophia's the best]) before going to sleep. I really missed my roommate.

Kellie called me today to see when I could come in next to work so I wouldn't "end up on her report," I guess as having to come back without my raise. I'll admit, I totally could have worked some over spring break, but I just really wanted to be lazy. However, every other time she's called me I've had something come up. For instance, she called Saturday to see if I could come in Sunday from 6:30a-11a. Um, what? Why weren't you closed on Easter? Besides, I was going to Georgia, so that was completely out of the question. In her message from today, she mentioned me coming in this Saturday, but Friday I'm getting my wisdom teeth out, so...I don't really know what to tell her. I guess I can go in for like four hours if I am not miserable, but I doubt that I won't be. I really hate having to go back during school, even if it's not 38 hours a week like it is in the summers (sigh) but I do need the money. I guess I'll schedule something for the Alabaster Starbucks, if possible, or just for the next weekend. There are many benefits to Starbucks, but I can't wait until I have a job that pertains to the degree I'm pursuing.

Big news!!
I got a letter in my UM Box this morning sent from the Office of the President. I was somewhat nervous opening it, but I thought, well, why, because I had a 3.8 last semester, and surely it wouldn't be anything bad. In fact, it is their "pleasure to inform you that you will be recognized for your academic achievements at the College of Arts and Sciences Honors Day ceremony on Wednesday, April 16, at 3:30 PM in Palmer Auditorium." Yay! I will apparently be recognized for "the following achievements: Honors, and the Freshman Leadership Scholarship." The only qualm I have with the Honors program here, while it's great, is that Levia's still in it. How the hell? She never went to class last semester, was proud of herself for making a C in history (she never took notes, so there is a correlation there, and not just a "bad" subject for her, which I would at least understand). She made like a 2.5 last semester, and I thought someone had to keep a 3.5 to stay in Honors. Who the hell knows. Either way, I'm proud of the letter I got, and I don't want to worry about anyone else because I'm proud of myself for achieving this when I was not that recognized in hell high school. I hope Mom and Nana will be able to make it, because it will mean so much to me!

So, that's the latest, and I guess I'll go now to commence being lazy around the dorm room. Soon, though, I'm going to begin crafting jewelry and attempting the red-and-white beaded curtain for Joseph and his suitemates' kitchen "door" and other crafts instead of playing video games in my free time. Maybe it'll be more constructive...? Something like that. I would love to take up knitting again. I love college.

Oh, and Kevin, if you are reading this- here's the link of awesome and hilarious sauce.

1 comment:

kevin said...

wow.

awesome stuff. thanks for the link.

i hope all is well. i am going to go kick the crap out of some japanazis. and by that i mean go sit on the couch.