Thursday, March 27, 2008

Part of being a teenager is being spontaneous, right?

All of a sudden, as I sat here in my mid-afternoon boredom after a highly successful South Asia map quiz (and woo, I got a 25/25 on my Africa one from last time), braiding another red Chinese-staircase bracelet- soon I plan on making a white one, then a red-and-white one, so be proud, Joseph ;)- I got the most random idea, literally out of nowhere.

I want to work in a daycare.

I don't even know of anywhere I could apply for this, and of course it would be until like..what, 5 pm or so, but I would love to do that during this summer. I never really even liked children (or rather, I don't like parents who don't make their children behave in public) but after being around Joseph's well-behaved nieces and my own nephew and niece who are also well-behaved, I decided that not all children are icky and mean and little spoiled brats. I did work study with my old third-grade teacher last year, and it was so much fun. All the eight-year-olds loved me. But I would love to work with even younger kids. I love arts and crafts, and I love helping them, and I just like kids in general. When did this transformation happen!? Furthermore, why such a random desire to work in a daycare or other children-oriented place?

I would, of course, continue working at Starbucks sporadically if I did decide to work at a daycare, or I could even just volunteer at a daycare- I don't really care about being paid to work with kids- but I just decided this was worth blogging to remember before school's out and I'm thinking about summer plans.

I'm excited, even though I have no idea where yet. If anyone knows of anywhere or has any suggestions, please let me know.

2 comments:

kevin said...

let me see if i can think of a (children's)place that could use capable, loving help...

hmm...

a name is coming to me...a name from the past. h-u-f....

ah, i see it now. yes, huffman united methodist church would love to have you amongst their daycare children's number.

i could probably find the number for you.

;)

Christina said...

I actually wondered if they needed help. Thank you! I wouldn't mind at least some familiar faces or the close drive.