Made the speech today. It went well! Apparently I have a "nice speaking voice, good extemporaneous style," and knew the material well (as I should have!). Things I could work on: filler words/motions ("um," lip-smacking, fidgeting), and organization. I completely skipped past the part where I establish my credibility (oops), but my professor and I had talked about it beforehand, so she gave me half-credit on that part. And people asked me questions! My presentation ended up being on Scientology vs. Anonymous, and the rights of both; is Scientology infringing upon the freedom of speech, or is Anonymous infringing upon freedom of religion? That I cannot answer, but urge everyone to strongly examine and always keep in mind your First Amendment rights.
(Also, nothing personal against the fifth of December, Joseph ;) )
Anyway, now that that's over, I can focus on my French Revolution paper.
Oh, and I'm taking 18 credit hours next semester. For an idea of how radical this is, here's a summary of my college career so far:
Fall '07 = 13 hours
Spring '08 = 14 hours
Fall '08 = 12 hours
Then surprise! 18 hours. But we'll see. I think I can do it, especially because I'm taking more history classes. You know, things that actually pertain to my major. I'm super excited.
Additionally, I'm absolutely in love with my adviser. Well, maybe not in love, but pretty close. Just because he's awesome, and actually suggested I try an undergraduate national conference because my writing is "certainly good enough." That made me feel super special. Also, his office is amazing, with stacks and stacks of books and fun pictures.
Anyway, now I'm off to a girls' night out with Charity and Carly.
Where do we go?
I don't even know
My strange old face
And I'm thinking about those days.
I don't even know
My strange old face
And I'm thinking about those days.

2 comments:
so can you tell me where I can buy a Guy Fawkes' mask? Better idea - how about 7? Some people at work have this great idea....
:)
I've seen them for sale at Spencer's. I can't wait to buy one.
Post a Comment