A contest over at my friend's website prompted me to do this, but really, I should have been doing it all along.
When I first started going to MOG, otherwise known as the Montevallo Organization of Gaming, the person who first greeted me was this guy, Gabriel Gadfly. Gabriel was a history major, like me, and a nerd, like me, so I knew we'd get along. I didn't know he wrote until about a year ago, when I heard the rumblings of a webnovel he was working on. I'd actually never heard of a webnovel before—only webcomics (like XKCD, Cyanide and Happiness, VGCats, etc.)—but whatever a webnovel was, he was writing one, placing his work not only in the realm of poetry, but also in the realm of weblit. He opened up his site, and I found myself sucked in by his poetry first—the webnovel I'm starting on, since school got in the way.
So, even though I'm prompted by the contest he's holding in celebration of his 100th poem, I'm here to tell you to check out Gabriel's site and support his work. You'll find funny poems (such as the drunken confessions of Luigi from the Mario games), advice poems ("How to Greet Death" being a personal favourite), and wonderfully provocative poems ("Ars Poetica: Muse"—another favourite). So far, I haven't found a piece I haven't liked, so this poet has my seal of approval.
Check him out! I'm glad I did.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment