When I first found out that the Scottish Highland Clans were only things officially instated in the eighteenth century, I was a bit dismayed. The British Isles are so full of rich history, and I've always had a connection to the Middle Ages, which explains why, when I obtain my doctorate, it will be in medieval British history (or medieval European, whichever), especially on the Dark Ages. I guess I always assumed that being a part of the Macdonald of Clanranald and Clan Mackenzie families, we were descended from great leaders of the Celtic peoples.
Well, there's nothing to say we weren't descended from great leaders. I guess what I mean to say is royalty. But there's more humility in being descended from farmers. We're hard workers, and all that. I'm certainly Scottish to the core—stubborn, hot-headed, fiercely loyal…all stereotypical traits of being Scottish. And I can hold my drinks pretty well. I got into an argument with Brian and Jason at work over them saying the Scots aren't heavy drinkers. Excuse me? The Celts love them some alcohol, Scots and Irish alike. Get it right, boys.
I love being descended of the Nova Scotians and the Scottish Highlanders who came before them. It's nice being from such a richly-woven tapestry of history. I know all of us have a richly-woven tapestry, and I love stories.
So tell me yours.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment